I have shared several times that growing up in a small Methodist church in South Georgia taught me a lot of things. I am grateful for the foundation that it laid in my spiritual life. I cherish the the memories of singing hymns every Sunday, the Men's Breakfasts that would happen every first Sunday, the VBS's, and the faithfulness of good people. There was one issue that always seem to bother me. There always seemed to be a formula to the approach to God. Do this + this + that and it always = the path to God. It did not matter how you lived before service or the way you treated people. As long as you had the formula you were a Christian.


As I have gotten older and dedicated my life to serving God and serving people I have learn that formula most of the time will kill your relationship with God. I have also learned that there is a difference between formula and structure. I know that a formula will not get me to God but I always know that I need structure in my relationship with God.

Without structure I haphazardly serve.

Here are the differences between formula and structure to me:
  • formal looks for results while structure prepares you for awareness
  • formula gives God limitations and boundaries while structure gives him order and permission
  • formula focuses on what is applied and what the outcome is while structure focuses on God and allowing Him to move in our lives.
I have to have structure, I have to:

blog on a regular basis to help sort my thoughts.

journal on a regular basis so I know where the mile markers are on the journey of life and I can

look back and see where God has brought me from
be in His Word everyday and let in marinate in my heart.

This is not a formula to get to God but a structure to help me grow in God.

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 Posted in | | 0 Comments »

One Responses to "x+y=xy"