Heart over talent
I am tired of people telling me how good they are and how much they can do. I feel like when God measures a person He doesn't put the tape measure around their head to see how smart they are and He doesn't put it around their arm to see how strong they are. He places the tape measure around their heart. Man looks at the outward ability but God always looks at the heart.

Wisdom over knowledge
Education is great. The older I get, I am understanding that you can not teach wisdom, though it can be learned. The ability to know right and wrong and not only choose right but do right. The ability to meet a person and not just hear their words but see their motives. Wisdom is a precious commodity in a world that is bankrupt in understanding.

Quality over quantity
You have to be careful with this aspect of life, especially in ministry. There is a fallacy in life that bigger is always better. Not true. Ministries can be large in number and small in results. We can shift our focus from building lifelong followers of Jesus to having large churches, youth ministries, or organizations. We can be a mile high and only be an inch deep. The problem with this is that you will come crumpling down during your first storm.

Passion over experience
I do not care where you have been or what you have done, you can not teach or learn passion. Passion can be caught, it can be contagious, but there has to be a small amber burning to fan into a flame to start with. It is easier to contain a fire or keep a fire burning, than it is to light a fire.

Results over advertising
There can not be inconsistencies between your words and your actions. There can not be a gap between what you deliver and what you promise. The way you live will scream so much louder than what you say you believe. We need to quit sending mixed signals with our lives.

Understand my heart, I am not saying any of these things are bad or wrong.  I am just shifting my priorities a little.

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 Posted in | | 0 Comments »

One Responses to "I Will Take..."