This week I am sharing some of my fears and how I deal with them. Today I want to start off with some of the fears that I have in ministry.

I will not be ready for what God has called me to do.
This fear is always stuck in the back of my head. I do not mean this arrogantly or with any pride. God has put some huge dreams in my heart. They had to come from God because I do not think like that. I am currently asking myself, "What am I doing today to prepare myself for what God has for me tomorrow?" Not just on a leadership level, not just reading blogs, listening to podcasts, networking, and reading books. What am I doing on a personal level? How am I guarding my relationship with God? What am I doing to grow in that relationship? What am I doing to draw closer to God? I overcome this fear by trying my hardest to position myself in a place where God can use me on a daily basis.

No one is going to listen to me.
One of the things that I love to do in ministry is speak to students. I stand in front of students a lot of times and think "Why in the world would they listen to me?" Then I remember that if it was just my message, then they would not have a reason to listen. It is not my message, it is HIS! Isaiah 55:9-11, "As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts. As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it." I have to remember that every time I speak, it is not that I have something to say. God does and He choses us to be His mouth piece.

I am not _______________ enough.
There are so many things that I can fill in the blank with: Creative, energetic, charismatic, or smart enough. And truth be told I am not. There is one phrase that I repeat to myself on a daily basis. "But not for the Grace of God." That is it. It is God's Grace that takes me places that I can not take myself. It is His imagination that I have to dream with because mine is not big enough. It is His strength that I have to walk in because if I walked in my own I would not make it very far. It is wisdom that helps me make the decisions that I face every day. If not for the grace of God.

I will lead people in the wrong direction.
I have to stop and ask myself sometimes, "Where am I leading people?" The biggest fear I have in ministry is that I will lead people "astray." I have to stop from time to time and not only do a spiritual inventory but check my position on my spiritual compass as well (cheesy I know). But I have to make sure I am walking where God has called me to walk. I understand that in ministry people follow you; it is your choice where you lead them. The solution to this fear is simple. Lead them to Jesus. You can never go wrong with that.

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 Posted in | | 0 Comments »

One Responses to "Minisitry Fears"