Lately, I have been in a slump. In baseball when a batter is going through a slump it means that he is not swinging his bat up to his full potential. His mechanics are off, his mind is sometimes some place else, and he is struggling to play the game. Slumps can come out of nowhere for no reason. The strange thing is most people do not realize they are in the middle of one until they are struggling. Once you look back you can see where it was sneaking up the whole time.


Over the last couple of weeks I have found myself in a slump. Mentally, emotionally, and spiritually. I have not been able to focus, not wanting to be around people a lot, and really not wanting to have my quiet time and read the Word. Just being honest and transparent, I have not felt like doing a lot of things. Most people probably could not tell but those that are closest to me and do life with me have noticed it.

So what do I do? What do you do when you are slumping spiritually? You do the same type things you would do if you were slumping anywhere else:
  • If you were slumping in baseball you would schedule more time in the batting cages - so I will spend more time in prayer and in the Word.
  • If you were slumping in baseball you would go to a hitting coach for some tips - so I will go to people I trust to mentor me and help me with my spiritual mechanics. I will listen to some podcast of some people that really hear from God and God uses to speak into my life.
  • If you were slumping in baseball you might move around in the batting line up some - I will change my routines up. The only difference between a rut and a grave is depth.
  • If you were slumping in baseball you would keep playing - so I will carry on. I will not give up or give in.

Friday, August 21, 2009 Posted in | | 1 Comments »