The older I get the more that I realize what rest is and is not. Rest is not sleep, though that does help. Rest is not how much time you do or do not spend in front of the television doing nothing. Those things are good and necessary at times. It is good to check out of reality every now and then. But the problem with "just" checking out of reality is that when you check back in, you have the same issues that you had before.


When you just hide from your problems, your body may get rest but your mind and soul will not. You get on the merry-g0-round from hell and you can not find your way off of it. When you do not find real rest, you begin to wear down and wear out quicker than before. You loose your fight and your ability to press through to the other side. Jesus talked about this in Matthew 11. Here is how the Message Bible reads:

Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly.

Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. The natural movements of the love that God has for us and for everyone else. Let Him work out your problems and deal with your circumstances. Remember that it is all His anyways. Lay them on His shoulders for a little while. Sit back and let God work it out. Trust Him to handle the tough stuff.

I have learned that when I do it on my own, I just make it worse. I can only see life from my perspective and I do not have all the answers.

Friday, June 12, 2009 Posted in | | 0 Comments »

One Responses to "Unforced Rhythms Of Grace"