This past weekend my Dad and I went on a motorcycle ride through the mountains of Georgia. The scenery was breath taking, the time to clear my mind on the bike was awesome, and the hang time with my Dad was just what I needed. While riding, my Dad made me lead. I am more comfortable following him (I would follow him, where ever, no matter what) and during this process God started speaking to me about leadership. Here are some thoughts I had:


Leadership does not mean comfort - I am more comfortable following on a bike, but that was not an option. Leadership is not about our level of comfort but our level of commitment. I have found that most of the time, I am NEVER comfortable when leading. In leadership people are always watching every move and every decision you make. The quicker you learn that you will not always get it right, the better you are. If you want to be comfortable in life, then leadership is not for you.

Leadership is about awareness - We learned very quickly this weekend that not all highways are marked clearly and some signs are hard to spot. You have to be constantly aware of your surroundings. Leadership sees. That is something my Pastor has been saying for a couple of weeks. Leadership should have the ability to see things that other people can not.

Leadership is about pace - If you go too fast, you will leave the people that are behind you. You can not move too slow or you will aggravate the people that follow you. As leaders, we have to be keenly aware of the pace of the people that we are leading. Leaders have to be out front but not too far out front or they will be by themselves.

Monday, March 23, 2009 Posted in | | 2 Comments »

One Responses to "Lessons From The Motorcycle - 1"

  1. Caryl Martinez says:

    Awesome!

  1. Barbara says:

    Can I pre-order the book?