The other day I was sitting at my desk working on some planning for the new year and I had a question that I asked myself. This question gripped my soul and has not turned it loose. The question is, "Will there be students in Hell looking for me?" This question has raised what I believe is a legitimate fear. This is not your usual fear, this fear has me evaluating how I have done ministry, taught, and lived over the last 10 years.


The fear is simple. I never want to do anything or say anything that will ever hurt or lead students astray. I have counted the cost of this call. I understand the weight that is resting on my shoulders. I know what is required. This sobering question is one that has my whole life in check. The people I hang out with, the things I watch, listen to, and do. I understand that my life screams louder that any sermon I have ever preached. Have I shown an accurate depiction of the love of Jesus? Has my life glorified God or someone else?

Will there be students in Hell looking for me? Just some thoughts I am chewing on today.

Monday, January 12, 2009 Posted in | | 2 Comments »

One Responses to "Will They Be Looking For Me"

  1. Stephanie says:

    wow. that's heavy. Thanks for the transparency. its challenging.

  1. Anonymous says:

    Eric, be real, man. Religion is what sends people to hell. Keep it real. That is part of what Jesus was saying when He said that true worshippers would worship in Spirit and in Truth.... Newbern