Last week as I was preparing for the Church Ministries Conference, I had a thought that has haunted me for almost a week.

I can not find anywhere in the Bible where Jesus called us to change the church. I can find where we are called to BE the church and change the world.

I want to take just a moment today and unpack if I can. There are a lot of people that think church is broken. That it is ineffective and is not reaching anyone anymore. Well, if your definition of "the church" is that it is only brick, lumber, and sheetrock, then you are right. Do I think that church is perfect? No. And as long as we view the church as a building, it is not what God intended it to be.

Actually, when we view church as a building, we tend to view the church as here for us. When the church is a place, the people in it tend to have a consumer mindset. When church is a place, it becomes all about the people in it and the people outside are neglected. The sooner we realize the church is not for Christians; rather, Christians are the church. We are the church and we are here for the lost and the sooner we realize this, the better off everyone is going to be.

I know I am not the first one to think like this, but it is really bugging me lately. Thanks for letting me share.

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 Posted in | | 0 Comments »

One Responses to "Where's The Church"