There is a lot rolling around in my mind about church and youth ministry right now. I am trying my best to be open to the Holy Spirit and allowing Him to challenge the way I view and have always viewed ministry. If we are not careful in seasons like this we can be overwhelmed by all we see and end up doing nothing. We fight so hard to be an element of change that we forget that unless we let God change us, we can not affect anything.


I believe that in Youth Ministry as a whole that we have separated the Mission of Jesus from the Message of Jesus. The message of Jesus also calls for response, action, or movement. I can not speak for any other Youth Pastor/Leader but too many times I have stood up and declared the Message and then told students to go live out the Mission on their own. Sure, we would give them opportunities a couple times a year to "live it out," but as a whole they are own there on.

We have told them to be a missionary to their school, neighborhoods, and families but not helped them or equipped them. Wednesday night is the night for the Message, a night where we come in and sing songs, listen to a monolog message, hangout with people we like (ignore people not like us), and feel good about ourselves and our relationship with God. The Mission is suppose to happen during the week. Is that the way it is suppose to be? What if the Message is the Mission? What if our actions really do speak louder than our words? What would happen if instead of separating the two we view them as one?

I do not have the answer but I am willing to allow God to keep dealing with me until we find it.

Monday, October 4, 2010 Posted in | | 0 Comments »

One Responses to "The Message Is The Mission"