Our church is walking through the 100 essential Bible reading plan. I got started a week late because I was finishing up a different plan, so I am playing catch up. Today reading in Genesis 11 something jumped out at me:

Genesis 11:4, "Then they said, "Come, let us build ourselves a city, with a tower that reaches to the heavens, so that we may make a name for ourselves and not be scattered over the face of the whole earth."

It is not what they were building that bothered God but it was why they were building it. It was not their action but their motives. They were building a city in their name, for their glory. It really got me to thinking about ministry. How many times do we work to build things in our name, for our legacy. How many times do we judge success by our standards and by what make us happy. We work and try to build our kingdoms that we rule and reign in, instead of building His Kingdom where He rules and reigns.

If it is about His Kingdom....

He is building and using me, not me building it and using Him.

When something goes wrong I rely on Him to fix it.

He will supply the resources and help I need to do what He wants me to do.

He will get all the glory.

Philippians 2:3, "Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit..."

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 Posted in | | 0 Comments »

One Responses to "Whose City Is It?"