All eyes are on Washington DC today. Today there are millions of people that have packed themselves into the Nation's Capital and millions more who will be watching it on TV. Today will be the inauguration of the 44th President of The United States. There are some big words being thrown around like historic, monumental, and others. There are some crazy comparisons that are happening. Obama is the next Lincoln, Kennedy, or someone else.


I find myself a little excited to watch what will happen today. Today will be one of those days that you can say 20 years from now you were alive for. Today is an important day for us as a country, but I have some thoughts I would like to share about it.
  • We as a country do not need a historical or monumental day, we need a historical and monumental term. With all we are facing as a nation we need President Obama to be everything that he and the media have promising him to be.
  • I think the comparisons are a mistake and are not doing the man justice. Let Barack Obama be Barack Obama. When they say that our nation is facing crisis like no other times before, then we need a leader that we have never had before.
  • When he places his hand on the Bible and takes that oath, he is no longer to me the first black President, he is the 44th President. I do not see color, I do not even see a man, I see an office. I know that a lot of people will disagree with me on this, but I feel the buzz about him being the first black President is contributing to the racism that is still an issue in this country.
  • As Christians we are called to support and pray for our President. Sorry if you do not agree with me. Whether you voted for him or like him, he is still your President. We are called to lift the man up as well as the office. President Obama has a tough road ahead, he needs our prayers and support.
Today we will watch as history is made, and then tomorrow we will wait for hope to be restored. Today as a church Stockbridge Assembly will show the inauguration and then afterwards gather and pray for President Obama and our nation. God Bless America and God Bless President Obama.

Tuesday, January 20, 2009 Posted in | | 1 Comments »

One Responses to "History"

  1. Joseph and Stacie says:

    This is good, Eric. I like your point about not viewing him as the first African American to hold office, but rather as the 44th president of the US.

    Also... how great was the invocation and the music and the speech! It was a beautiful ceremony.