Over the last week I have found myself looking back a lot. Walking down memory lane and asking a lot of questions. I find myself standing in a new season and not begrudging being here but missing some of the people and times that have been apart of my life. I guess it is because we are gearing up for a big event or it might be the Holidays. It is not necessarily a bad thing to reminisce, I just do not need to stay here long. There are some issues with always looking back.


You can never see your future if you are only looking at your past. Where you have been is not as important as where you are going. Sometimes we hold on so tightly to what has been, that we are not open to what is going to be. You can never have anything new unless you allow God to take away the old. You have to lay down the past so He can not hand you your future.

If all you have to accomplish has been accomplished, then retire and move to the beach or the mountains. If not, shut up and move on, there is more stuff that needs to be done. I struggle with the people that talk more about what they have done then what they are doing. There are more people left to reach, serve, pour into, and love on. What about them? Are they not as important as the people in your past?

The past is only a foundation that the future can be built upon. It might not always be pretty but it is solid. I have always lived with the statement that what does not kill you, will always make you stronger. Everything that you walk through is to build you up, whether it is a challenge or not. Everywhere you have been is to prepare you for where you are going. The past is good but we just can not live there.

I challenge you today to live in today. Celebrate your past but make sure you are embracing your present and gearing towards your future.

Monday, December 15, 2008 Posted in | | 1 Comments »

One Responses to "Looking Back"

  1. David says:

    I just want to say, One of things that you told me, back in the day, still hits had for me everyday...I mean a lot of things do, but mainly the time you were talking about the windshield and the rear view mirror...i repeat that everyday in my head and it has helped me so much! Miss you dude!