My favorite song of Christmas is "Little Drummer Boy." I love almost any version of this song, because the words always challenge me. I guess I identify with the Little Drummer Boy in several ways. He is a musician like me and in the grand scheme of things he had little to give the newborn King. When you think about the birth of Christ, there are so many absurdities according to our societal norms. Our society would tell you that the wise men took the best gifts, because the gold, frankincense and myrrh were expensive and valuable. I believe that the song played by the Little Drummer Boy was extraordinary and significant.

The Little Drummer Boy is extraordinary, because he gave all he had . . .himself. He did not have money or special gifts, but he was blessed with the gift of music. I am challenged each day to just give of myself more, rather than any talents, resources, words, or deeds.

The Little Drummer Boy is significant, because he connected to Jesus through his worship. He knew that his music would engage him with the Son of God. In spite of the circumstances that did not befit a king, his intense heart-felt song was adoration that could not be silenced. It was a declaration of his relationship with Jesus. I am challenged, especially in this season of my life, to make each day count. I want to connect with Jesus through my worship and I want my life to be an undeniable symbol of my adoration.

Are you searching for something other than normalcy? Are you looking for significance? I challenge you to look deep within yourself and evaluate what you bring to Jesus each day. Do you give him all of yourself and worship from a heart of deep adoration?

Wednesday, December 17, 2008 Posted in | | 0 Comments »

One Responses to "Excellence"